Before adding volunteers to your site, it's important to determine if they will be active volunteers or managed volunteers. Managed volunteers are users without an email address so they do not have access to the site. The organization must log hours on behalf of these volunteers, but it can be a good option if you have certain volunteers who do not use the internet.
There are three options for adding volunteers to your site, depending on what works best for your organization!
- Option 1: Direct volunteers to self register on Track It Forward. This saves you time as the organizer, but you may have to send multiple reminders and give volunteers time to sign up.
- Option 2: Add and invite volunteers one at a time. This is a great option if you only need to add a few volunteers at a time.
- Option 3: Importing a list of volunteers from Excel. This option is a life saver if you have an existing list of volunteers and want to get everyone set up as soon as possible!
Option 1: Direct volunteers to self register on Track It Forward
The easiest way to encourage volunteers to self register is to email everyone the direct link to your Track It Forward page or add one of our widgets to your organization's website. Both of these options can be found on the Promote page of your Organizer Dashboard.
Option 2: Add and invite volunteers one at a time
In the Volunteers tab, on the left-hand side is a form to fill out for adding a new volunteer. You can send them an invitation by selecting the checkbox next to Send Invitation and once complete, click on Add Volunteer. This will generate a system notification that they have been added to your site and give them instructions for logging in and setting a password.
Option 3: Importing a list of volunteers from Excel
Prior to importing your volunteers, you will need to create an Excel spreadsheet with columns that match each field in your volunteer profile (Ex. Grade level, Phone Number, etc.)
- For the username, we recommend just copying/pasting the email address column
- For the password, you can set this as the same thing (ex. password) and copy/paste it for everyone
When your spreadsheet is ready, go to Volunteers tab, click on the Import tab, and click on Import Volunteers (with or without email). Copy/paste the spreadsheet data, validate it to confirm the fields match up, and the click submit.
- If you leave a field blank, the volunteer will have the chance to edit their profile later and complete the fields
- If a field is required, the volunteer will have to complete their profile before logging hours
Importing volunteers does not automatically notify them about their Track It Forward account.
After your import is complete, go to the Volunteers page, select the names of the volunteers you want to invite,
then in the actions drop-down select Send Invitation, click on Run and follow the remaining instructions.
(This option for a mass invitation is currently available on paid plans only, not free trials).
Please note: If you plan on importing multiple groups of volunteers over time, it may be helpful to add an Organizer Only question for the volunteer profile for "Date Added" so you can easily filter the list for recently added volunteers.
By default, this is the invitation email from the system
If you'd like to modify the email with a personalized message, go to Organizer Dashboard >> Settings >> More Settings >> Email Templates. Insert your personal Subject and/or Message, then click on Save.